Thursday, April 25, 2013

Success, Greatness, Satisfaction, and Happiness

I’m by no means the definition an elite runner. In the world of recreational running, also known as hobby jogging, I’m pretty average. My 1 Mile PR is 6:00, and my 5K PR is 20:37. My current running goal is to get healthy, that goal is followed by the goal to get back to roughly that level of fitness, and from there, I can work on running sub-6 and sub-20.

But I still consider myself to be successful. Success is less of a singular event, and more of a way of life; and the way to live a successful life is to work hard consistently. In the world of running, success doesn't equate with winning, or setting records, or even being the best. Success is work. Success is a process. Success is improvement. Success is addicting. And it doesn't have to be improving on your times, or improving how hard the running feels. It’s the improvement of effort. You are successful as long as you make it your life and as long as you give maximum effort.

I also believe I can achieve greatness. I believe that I am great now, but I know that my future is yet brighter than today and today was brighter than yesterday. Why? Because as soon as you resign yourself to not achieving greatness, you fail. And greatness doesn't mean money, or power, or anything of those tangible things. Greatness can't be calculated. It can't be measured. It can only be admired. Be respected. Greatness awaits you.

Now while I believe that I’m successful, and I believe I’m great. I’m not even remotely satisfied. You should never be satisfied. To be satisfied is to admit that you are weak. That you are inferior. You should always want to go faster, go harder, and go farther. If you commit yourself to success and dream of greatness, then you will never be satisfied, as your continued improvement will push you continue to give maximal effort. I will only be satisfied when I’m done.

Don’t confuse satisfaction and happiness though. I’m very happy. Even injured, I’m happy. If I was healthy tomorrow morning, I imagine I’d have a difficult time breaking 7 minutes in the mile. After all, I was maybe in 6:45 shape 2 weeks ago and I haven’t run since. And if I ran a 5k, I imagine it would be 24:xx. But I’m still happy, because I know that I had been putting in solid consistent work, and that these injuries are just a temporary setback. You can be unsatisfied while being happy. The two aren't synonymous.

Good luck in all your training, and may you live success, discover greatness, and enjoy happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment