My L4-5 and L5-S1 discs are protuding to the right, pinching my nerve, causing pain that shoots down my legs. I can even feel it slightly in my back when I try to expand my spine. I'm currently in the process of getting discharged from the Army; hopefully I will be home 2 weeks from now. But here is how we got here:
I flew out on April 30th after packing up everything at my apartment hurriedly. I got to Fort Benning late on that Tuesday night and started process immediately. I pushed through the pain for a few days, but the following Wednesday I admitted to the Athletic Trainers of my gaining unit that I had a lot of pain and an inability to flex my leg/back completely. That Friday, I watched my company ship downrange while I got sent to RHU(Retain and Hold Unit) down the hill. After 25 days of sitting around as a holdover down here, I got brought back up the hill to ship. I had already had an x-ray and been given muscle relaxers and pain relievers but I had yet to get my MRI. My processing company, Bravo Company, took me to my x-ray on my 3rd day back with them, and after the weekend, I got my results back. I was both relieved to know that what I was feeling was real, but floored at the prospects of recovering from such a serious injury. I'm now on my 22nd day back at RHU, having already signed my packet and simply waiting for it to make it's stops at Battalion and Brigade before Trans gets it and I get a ship date. That should be the 17th of July. I've never wanted to be home so bad in my life, but if I can push through these final two weeks and get there, I will be eternally greatful for the supportive friends and family I have in my life.
This long period of inactivity has me quite out of shape but hopefully through PT or surgery I can heal quickly and ease back into training before too long.
This has been one of the most unexciting and painstaking adventures in failure I have ever had, and hopefully it will come to a close before I know it.
No comments:
Post a Comment