Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August In Review

Hey Everyone! It's been a hot and humid HUMP DAY and I wanted to give everyone an update on my last few weeks. I moved back up to Greenville on the 14th, into a single bedroom apartment just a few blocks from campus. The short walk back and forth is good exercise for my leg, especially after having to sit in those uncomfortable school desks. I'm mostly settled into the new place as it is starting to feel more like home to me. I should be able to start physical therapy soon, maybe even next week if I'm lucky. Pain wise, it has migrated into my back but my joints in my right leg are feeling the lack of activity and have been popping a lot and giving me pain as well.

I had left for basic training at around 189 pounds, after several months of lifting I had gained a bit of muscle. I returned home at 172, due to the loss of muscle and a lack of sugar in my diet. But after a month of indulging in snacks and being unable to exercise, I'm back up to about 180. I need to start doing more walking and try out the exercise bike or elliptical before I balloon, as well as watch my eating now that I've got my cravings out of the way.

While I obviously haven't been able to run, I've continued doing more research into training methods, plans, and workouts in an effort to optimize my coaching abilities and my own training. Recently, a friend of mine ran two workouts I prescribed for him and they both went to perfection. First, he did a 8 x 400m session, at 80 seconds with 90 seconds rest. At the end, he finished progressively faster and averaged 80. The next session was 6 x 300m, at 54 seconds with 2:30 rest. He ended up averaging 51.5 seconds, and we threw in a fly 150m at the end, in which I wanted him to hit 21 to 22. He hit 19. So two great workouts already, good start to my coaching career.

Hopefully the next time I post, I can tell you all about all the improvement I've seen through physical therapy. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment